Glengarry Pioneer Museum - Opening Weekend
Kicking off the Museum Season May 17-20th 10 am to 5 pm
Spring is in the air, so come check out the new exhibits.
May 18, 19, 20, 2013 10 am - 5 pm
The Glengarry Pioneer Museum
1645 County Road 30, R.R.#1
Phone: (613) 527-5230
General Information on the Museum:
The Glengarry Pioneer Museum first opened in 1962 under the auspices of the Glengarry Historical Society. Its stated mandate was to preserve and display the artifacts and history of the early Glengarry settlers including the Native North Americans, the Scots and the French. The museum is open for viewing every weekend in the summer.
The Pioneer Museum includes a miniature Pioneer Village comprised of seven buildings:
- The Star Inn is the oldest bar in Ontario, and once served as a hospice on the Montreal-Ottawa stagecoach line.
- The Livery Shed was integral to the stagecoach route allowing drivers to change horses.
- The Roxborough Township Hall saw active service as a municipal building until moving to the Museum site in 1985.
- The pioneer vintage Cheese Factory from Lancaster is representative of the many like factories that once dotted the Glengarry landscape.
- Olivier Hamelin's Blacksmith Shop from Apple Hill has a long history and, indeed, Olivier Hamelin was the last working full-service Blacksmith in Glengarry.
- The Museum has two barns:
1) the Campbell Barn which houses the Museum's agricultural artifacts
2) the Stewart Barn, home to the Museum's winter collection.